Breastfeeding is one of the most magical moments a mother can have with her child. But sometimes it can get tricky and not very pleasant. And that’s normal, every woman is different, and every mother also.
We all have our ways of doing things, and there is no right or wrong way when it comes to breastfeeding and feeding babies in general. The most important thing you need to remember is that you shouldn’t feel the pressure. Don’t let society and other people make you feel pressure because you do certain things in your way, or you don’t do certain things.
Let’s go back to the vital topic of this article when we’ve got that out of the way. Sometimes pumping is the answer. Some mothers are fans of pumping; some are not because they love to breastfeed exclusively, but we must agree that pumping can be lifesaving in some moments.
Why is pumping good?
Did you know that if you pump your milk, the process can increase your milk supply? It’s simple; milk is produced on a supply and demand basis, meaning that if you pump after nursing, the new milk will be produced quickly.
Also, if other people are taking care of your baby, it’s always handy to have a bottle of your milk for them to feed the baby. That means that you don’t have to be around all the time or sleep a few hours longer.
And maybe even the most important thing – you will feel much better. Especially if you are a working mom, and you want to continue breastfeeding while working. You will be able to pump the milk for caregivers to feed the baby while you are working, but also to feel better and relieve engorgement.
And we’ve come to the most important thing when it comes to pumping – the pump itself.
There are many types of pumps, and some are good, while others are not. Many pump types’ means there are different styles and sizes and pumps for everyone’s pocket.
But, there are four main types of breast pumps, and they are:
- Single-electric breast pumps – With this pump, you will be able to pump one breast at a time. They cost less, but you need more time to pump.
- Double-electric breast pumps – You can pump both breasts at the same time; they are speedy, but also pricy.
- Battery-operated breast pumps – These pumps are portable, and you can take them wherever you go. But the batteries can run out quickly, and the pumps are on the slower side.
- Manual breast pumps – These are also very portable; you can take them wherever and they are not expensive. There is a downside, and it is: you will need a lot of time and effort to pump milk with them, and you never get the amount you get with other pumps.
Those were the main types, but some pumps are closed-system and open-system pumps.
- A closed-system pump means that it is sealed off from the milk with a barrier. They are also called hospital-grade pumps or pumps with overflow protection. These pumps are a bit on the expensive side, but they are better and more hygienic.
- An open-system pump doesn’t have a barrier between the milk and the pump mechanism, and they are more difficult to sterilize. They are much less expensive than the closed-system ones.
We’ve prepared the best pumps that will suit everyone’s needs, and here they are:
Top Picks for 2021
1. Medela Pump in Style Advanced
This is a double electric breast pump, and it’s one of the best-known pumps available on the market. Its unique design mimics the baby’s sucking pattern, which helps to produce more milk in less time. The design is beautiful, and the pump comes in a practical tote and a backpack.
The best thing is that it even has a portable battery pack that you can pump on the go, or anywhere you want.
The downside is that it’s an open-system pump and gets difficult to sterilize.
2. Spectra S1 Hospital Strength Breast Pump
Another great pump is this Spectra one. The smart design makes the pump easy to carry, and it weighs only 3.3 pounds. It’s double-electric, but it’s a closed system which means it easily can be sterilized. And one more plus is that it has a built-in battery, which is always convenient. You can adjust the speed and the rhythm of the pumping and even memorize it for the next time.
3. Lansinoh Signature Pro
It’s time to present to you with a budget-friendly pump. Lansinoh Signature Pro will not disappoint you despite its low price. It’s a double-electric pump with a super slim and super quiet design, weighing only 2.3 pounds.
It mimics the baby’s feeding patters, and it has three pumping styles. And believe it or not, it’s a closed system, which means it is super easy to clean.
4. Philips Avent Comfort
When it comes to comfort, this is one of the most comfortable pumps available in the market, if not the most comfortable. The design is done impeccably, and you won’t need to sit in any particular position. You can choose from a single-electric style or double-electric style, but the double always wins with us.
5. Lansinoh Manual
It’s another Lansinoh on the list, but it’s a manual this time. Yes, manuals are a bit difficult to use, but sometimes they can be a good alternative. If you don’t care about pumping speed, you need a simple pump for traveling, or you just want a budget version – this is the right choice then.
A useful feature with this pump is that you can pump in the bottle that you will use for feeding meaning; fewer parts for cleaning. It also has a unique handle, which helps you pump faster and so your hand doesn’t tire quickly.
These were our picks of the best breastfeeding pumps available. We wish you luck with your breastfeeding pump shopping, and we hope you’ll find the perfect one.
Take a look at these pumps also: